Sunday, July 11, 2021

Living and Dying in this Pandemic Time

"For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living." Romans 14:7-9
I'm living in a time of a global pandemic which began perhaps at the end of 2019 and is still raging in various parts of the world. Every day the numbers are given of new cases, recovered and deaths, and news of more vicious variants of the "unforgiving virus". There is fear and suffering, anxiety and despair for many. But for many too, there is a time of turning to the Lord and of growing in Him in Lockdown and isolation, in quietness and trust, in repentance and rest.
"For thus said the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel, 'In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength.'" Isaiah 30:15
Two days ago, I received news of the death of a pastor in Malaysia due to the Covid-19 virus, and before that there were two other pastors too who had been infected and died. One of the first recorded deaths in the country was that of a pastor in Sabah, and we have heard of many pastors in India dying with the thousands. There is no difference: the virus strikes all humans regardless of gender, faith, nationality, status or age. Some are slain by it, some survive. A few hours ago, I received happy news of the recovery of our pastor friend and his wife and family in Myanmar, "Many thanks for your prayers. We are all recovered. Praise the Lord. God is so good to my family." Praise God for His grace and mercy in healing them indeed. But shall we not also praise God when He does not heal according to our prayers and instead takes the sick home to Himself? As Job said,
"Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return. The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord." Job 1:21 And, "Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?" Job 2:10
Death indeed was the bane of the human race, the curse and punishment that has fallen on all because of Adam and Eve's sin against the One and Only True Living God.
"For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall be made alive." 1 Corinthians 15:21,22 "But in fact Christ has been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep." 1 Corinthians 15:20
How Christ has made all the difference in the world! By His life of perfect obedience to the Father, His death on the cross as a propitiation for our sins, His resurrection form the grave evidencing the efficacy of His sacrifice and salvation for all who believe in Him, He has defeated death and redeemed us for Himself.
"Death is swallowed up in victory." "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?" "The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:54-56
So now, we can say with Paul,
"For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labour for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed betweent the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account." Philippians 1:21
"Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labour is not in vain." 1 Corinthians 15:58
"Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O LORD, Faithful God. My times are in your hands; rescue me from the hand of my enemies and from my persecutors! Oh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you and worked for those who take refuge in you in the sight of the children of mankind! Blessed be the Lord, for he has wondrously shown his steadfast love to me..." Psalm 31: 5,15,19,21

No comments: