Monday, October 10, 2011

Mirror Mirror

It started Thursday with a mild fever and a sore throat. I took 2 panadols and slept. The next day, I went to teach and had one-on-one with several students while the rest did their Wordly Wise. I thought I was well already, though the throat still was sore, and then began to be irritable and gave me a dry cough. There's an occasional sneeze. Thankfully, no running nose, which I hate. Hope I'll get over it and that it won't last for 5 weeks as it did for Siew Heng. She said she felt better, then worse, several times.

Reading "The Hunger Games" now and finding it quite enthralling. Haha, now I'm reading books recommended by my students and sons. How the tables have turned. Watched "Tropic Thunder" on dvd with D: silly over the top gags. I told D that if we ever were to bring in a young 'un in to foster, we'd have to quit watching such movies in the home. He said, "What makes you think I'd be continuing to do so?" He's keen to take in this 10 year old kid who needs a foster family, but I'm hesitating now. Will I be up to it? I'll be doing the main work, there'll be more work and responsibilities. Will we be good for the kid? We're no perfect godly family. We're flawed humans with baggage and many blind spots still. Am I asking for trouble? Or, will it, paradoxically, be good for us all? Lord, please guide and confirm it for us.

James did a good job leading in the singing. And thanks to God and to Alex and Fiona, the young adults had a good outing to the MV Logos Hope Saturday nite. Glad that Junie came after an absence of a few weeks. The speaker, Patrick Cheng of the NECF, has a masters in Christian Counselling as well as in secular Counselling, and he was talking about how to build emotionally healthy churches. We just need to listen to one another and help one another to renew our minds, basically, and we wouldn't be needing professional counselors and psychiatrists. We are like mirrors to one another, and we need to speak the truth in love to one another. Besides that, something he didn't say, I think that we need to keep reading the Word of God and applying it in our daily lives: the Word is like a mirror to us, showing us not just our outward appearance, but going deep even into "the thoughts and intents of the heart" (James 1:22-25), Hebrews 4:12)

Was glad that Michelle came, after her almost month-long sojourn to Paris and Europe, and we had a nice lunch at the curry fish head shop in Rampai with Sheryl and Ashwira as well.Was also very glad that the new Michelle came again with her husband, Ryan. Praise God that she is very keen to grow deeper in the Lord and has a desire to be baptised. She's taken the first Nav discipleship book and will be doing it, and I'm to be her partner. Thank you, Lord!

No comments: