Sunday, October 09, 2011

Turning, Churning

New books and new songs and movies are being churned out faster than I can keep up. My O3 students are crazy over the Percy Jackson books (the movie failed to impress any of them), and also over "The Hunger Games" now being made into a movie.

Through D, I got to know Adelle, and I listen to her CD "21" to and fro work. Her songs are very catchy, and I hear my students sing them like pros, even the 11 and 12 year olds. Like her song goes, "I can't keep up with your turning tables," so I say I can't keep up with the changes of the world.

How marvellous is the creative gift that God has put in us! But then again, it's the same old story dressed in new fashion and style, always the story of love and loss and faith and betrayal, life and death, beginnings and endings. As the preacher said, There's no end to the making of many books and songs and stories, and also, "much study is wearisome to the flesh." (Ecclesiates 12:12)

I have to accept that I cannot keep with the turning of the world; one day I will take my leave and the world will go on without me. People will still be people, and God will still be God, and best of all, He will continue to build His church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

And then the Preacher said,

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter:

Fear God and keep His commandments,
For this is man’s all.
For God will bring every work into judgment,
Including every secret thing,
Whether good or evil." (Ecclesiates 12:13-14)

No comments: